Born in Bath, Somerset, UK on 25th August 1945
- Emeritus Professor of Design at Goldsmiths, University of London
- Professor of Practice at Swansea College of Art, UWTSD
- Married to Alma Tischler Wood
- He has 3 children and 7 grandchildren
|2018-||COLUMNIST||Sublime Magazine (see articles)|
|2015-2018||DIRECTOR||Creative Publics, Ltd. (UK)|
|2014-present||BOARD MEMBER||Creative Pioneers, London|
|2014-present||CONSULTANT||The Unity of Faiths Foundation, London.|
|2013-2015||CONSULTANT||Implementation of my androgogic learning and assessment system MA for the programme at the Icelandic Academy of the Arts, Reykjavik (Professor Dóra Ísleifsdóttir).|
|2008-9||CONSULTANT||Arup & Partners, London (confidential)|
|2008||Chair of Awards Jury||Iceland Visual Art Awards|
|2008||CONSULTANT||Ag8 and Ridley Scott Associates), December, 2008|
|2008-present||MEMBER||Thames Gateway Business Club’s Steering Committee, Environmental Sustainability Conference, March 2009 London|
|2008||CONSULTANT||Space Doctors and BBC, 9th January, 2008|
|2008||2010||Member of the ‘Building Futures Advisory Group’ – (RIBA Think-Tank2007||CONSULTANT||Coordinating the Attainable Utopias Team- Public consultation Exercise on behalf of the United Arts Village|
|2007||2014||Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts|
|2007||CONSULTANT||“Fractal Maps for Multi-space Pilgrims” – vision paper invited by the Ministry of Culture, South Korea (The Multi-space City - Gwangju International Culture Hub, Gwangju, Korea), 12th January, 2007|
|2007||ORGANISER||‘Dream Exchange’ - an Attainable Utopias Network event commissioned as part of the Deptford Design Festival September 2006|
|2006||EXTERNAL ADVISOR||Brighton University’s validation of their Art and Design MA programmes, 5th April, 2006|
|2006||EXTERNAL ASSESSOR||AHRC funding bid “Improving the Quality of Writing in Design Research: practicing to write and writing to practice”, Dr. Louise Valentine, Dundee University, July, 2006|
|2002-2004||Visiting Professor||Lifestyle Design, Nagoya University of the Arts, Japan|
|1998||EXTERNAL ADVISOR||De Montfort University's re-validation of their MA/MSc programme in Design and Manufacture, July 1998|
|1999||WORKSHOP CO-ORDINATOR||"Finding the new 'we' from the 'NOT-We" invited presentation on creativity and re-branding given to executives of Kraft, Jacob, & Suchard, at Hampton Court, London, April 1999|
|1990-1995||MEMBER||Toy Pirates Management Committee, South London. This charity made novel, low cost educational toys and equipment for schools and hospitals.|
|Gwent Institute of Higher Education||Interactive Arts BA(Hons)||1992-5|
|Kent Institute of Art and Design||BA(Hons) 3D Design programme||1993-8|
|Manchester Metropolitan University||Interactive Art & Design, BA(Hons)degree programme||1998-2002|
|Mid Wales University||Fine Art BA(Hons) degree programme||1994-1997|
|Mid Wales University||Interactive Arts MA degree programme||1998-2002|
|University of Central England||Textile Design BA(Hons) degree programme||1999-2001|
|Dublin College of Art & Design, (NCAD) Ireland||MA (Fine Art) examining||2004-5|
|Fareham College, Hants.||Foundation programme||2004-5|
|Winchester School of Art, Hants.||Foundation programme||2004-5|
|London College of Communications||MA Interactive Media||2009-10|
|Kingston University||MA Sustainable Design||2012-2015|
PhD SUPERVISION / EXAMINATION
|Second supervisor||Seungwan Roh||2004||‘Designing 3D User-Interfaces For Digital Communication Systems’|
|First supervisor||Chokeanand Bussracumpakorn||2006||‘Managing Networks Of Design Innovation|
|First supervisor||Geoff Crook||2007||‘How Can Designing for the Non-Visual Senses Enable The slow-Food Industry to Compete Better with the Supermarket System?’|
|First supervisor||Peter Spring||2007||‘How Can Memes Be Used To Guide The Practice Of Designing For Socially Beneficial Purposes?’|
|External Examiner||Oli Mival||Napier, Edinburgh University, 2006||“In Search of the Cybermuse: Exploring the Role of Technology within Creative Systems”|
|First supervisor||Kevin Spellman||2010||“The Role of Fractal Logic in the Ideation Process”|
|First supervisor||Lisa George||2011||Backcasting in Ecodesign|
|External Examiner||Kristina Borjesson||Central St. Martins, University of Arts 2006||“The Affective Sustainability of Objects; a Search for Causal Connections”|
|External Examiner||Christopher Speed||Uni. of Plymouth, 2007||“A Social Dimension for Digital Architectural Practice”|
|External Examiner||Jonathan Chapman||University of Brighton, 2007||“Emotionally Durable Design: Sustaining relationships between users and domestic electronic products”|
|External Examiner||Stephen James Thompson||University of Plymouth, 2007||“Artefacts, Technicity and Humanisation; industrial design and the problem of anoetic technologies”|
|External Examiner||Russel Bestley||London College of Communication, Uni. of Arts. 2008||“If You Are Going to Reminisce, Then You Need To Do It Properly: Punk Rock And Graphic Design In The Far Away Towns”|
|External Examiner||Otto von Busch||School of Design & Crafts, Uni. of Gothenburg, 2008||“Fashion-able - Hacktivism and Engaged Fashion Design"|
|First supervisor||Julia Lockheart||Goldsmiths, University of London, 2009||“Doing Language Together: Collaborative Writing Practice for Design Teams in Higher Education”|
|First supervisor||Yahuei Yang||Goldsmiths, Uni. of London, 2010||“Eco-communities and Metadesign”|
|External examiner||Julia Jude||University of Bedford, 2013||“Family Systemic Therapy in the Home, Reigniting the Fire”|
|External examiner||Ziva Ljubec||University of Plymouth, 2013||“Polyphibianism, Evolving Transdisciplinarity into an Imaginary Organism of Living Knowledge”|
|External examiner||Wenjin Yao||Royal College of Art, 2014||‘An Investigation of Chineseness’|
|Supervisor||Julia Lockheart||Goldsmiths, University of London, 2015||Doing Language Together: Collaborative Writing Practice for Design Teams in Higher Education|
|Internal examiner||Danny Lee||Goldsmiths, University of London, 2016||‘Cross-Cultural Design (CCD) Learning Model: The development and implementation of CCD design education in South Korean higher education|
|External Examiner||Julia Lohman||Royal College of Art, 2017||“The Department of Seaweed: Co-Speculative Design in a Museum Residency”|
|External Examiner||Bob Pulley||Royal College of Art, 2018||Theatre of the Imagination|
|External Examiner||Lara Furniss||Birmingham City University, 2019||"Beyond Discipline: Positioning Design Practice and Education for the Twenty-First Century"|
|External Examiner||Katarina Dimitrijevic||Goldsmiths University of London, 2021||"Visualising Plastic Ocean Pollution: Plastics with The Living Voice"|
|1990||Goldsmiths Research Committee||IDEAbase software programming (Phases 1& 2)||6 months||£5.8k|
|1991||The Sutasoma Trust||IDEAbase software programming (Phases 3)||1 month||£1k|
|1993||Goldsmiths Research Committee||IDEAbase Phase 4||2 months||£2k|
|2002||Goldsmiths||Award for Teaching||Development||1 year||£2k|
|2002||HEFCE||Writing PAD (Writing Purposefully in Art and Design) research project||3 years||£250k|
|2003||Goldsmiths||CELT award||1 year||£3k|
|2003-2004||Assorted corporate donors||Supporting the Attainable Utopias Network||2 years||£21k|
|2005-2006||EPSRC / AHRC||An Open Source Design Cluster that uses Synergy Tools to Guide the Effective Development of a 'Meta-Design' Methodology||1 year||£50k|
|2005-2006||LDA||Special award to launch the Attainable Utopias Network||1 year||£30k|
|2005-2006||HEFCE||Funding for completion of the WritingPAD (Writing Purposefully in Art and Design) project.||3 months||£25k|
|2007-2009||AHRC / EPSRC||Benchmarking Synergy Levels Within Metadesign: Devising International Standards That Encourage a More Joined-Up Approach to the Way We Live||2 years||£326k|
|2008||Business development Office, Goldsmiths||Recording research projects||x||£3,425|
- Bussracumpakorn, C., & Wood, J., (2010), “Design Innovation Networks, critical factors that can contribute to successful collaborative development of innovative products”, Lambert Academic Publishing, 978-3-8383-6380-6
- Wood, J., (2007), “Designing for Micro-utopias; thinking beyond the possible”, (Commissioning Editor, Professor Rachel Cooper), Ashgate, UK, ISBN 0-7546-4608-4, (222 pages)
- Wood, J., (1998), (Ed.) "The Virtual Embodied; presence, practice, technology", Routledge, London and New York, (simultaneously published in USA and Canada), June 1998, ISBN 0-415-16025-1 (hardback), ISBN 0-415-16026-X (paperback)
BOOK CHAPTERS & CONTRIBUTIONS
- Wood, J., (2018), short foreword to "Investigating the Visual as a Transformative Pedagogy in the Asia Region", Eds.: Dr Ian McArthur, Rod Bamford, Associate Professor Xu Fang, Brad Miller, Common Ground Publishing, Champagne, Illinois, USA, Australia
- Wood, J., (2017), "From Products to Relations: Adding jeong to the metadesigner’s vocabulary", chapter for Handbook of Sustainable Product Design by Jonathan Chapman, Routledge, ISBN-10: 1138910171, ISBN-13: 978-1138910171
- Wood, J., (2016), "Wild New Territories", Black Dog Publishing Ltd (24 Nov. 2016), ISBN-10: 1910433640, ISBN-13: 978-1910433645, pp. 28-43
- Wood, J., (2016), "A Quadratic Model of Consciousness", a chapter for a forthcoming book The Undivided Mind, (ed. Jane Grant), part of the Consciousness Reframed series, to be published by Intellect Books.
- Wood, J., (2015), "Collective Metamorphosis; a combinatorial approach to self-transformation", a chapter for Transformation Design (ed. Wolfgang Jonas), BIRD (Board of International Research in Design, BIRKHÄUSER).
- Wood, J., (2013), “Metadesigning Paradigm Change: an ecomimetic, language-centred approach”, a chapter in Handbook of Design for Sustainability, edited by Stuart Walker & Jacques Giroud (Berg), 2013
- Wood, J., (2012), Creativity & Biodiversity; towards a synergy-of-synergies, paper in the Journal of Advances in System Sciences & Applications, Editor, Prof. Jeffrey (Yi Lin) Forrest, An official journal of the International Institute for General Systems Studies, Vol. 12, (3), pp. 232
- Backwell, J., & Wood, J., (2011), ‘Catalysing Network Consciousness in Leaderless Groups: A Metadesign Tool’, in Consciousness Reframed 12, Art, Identity and the Technology of the Transformation, editors Roy Ascott & Luis Miguel Girão, University of Aveiro, Portugal, pp. 36-41
- Wood, J., (2010), “Shadows of Utopia”, chapter in “Edge of a Dream: Utopia, Landscape & Contemporary Photography”, Simryn Gill (Author), Mandylee Jandrell (Author), David Spero (Author), Paul Halliday (Author), Virginia Nimarkoh (Author), John Wood (Author), Anthony Iles (Author), Kate Soper (Author), Paperback: 120 pages, Affram Books (October 2010), ISBN-10: 0956645003, ISBN-13: 978-0956645005
- Wood, J., (2010), “Benchmarking Synergies in Metadesign”, chapter in Designing for the 21st Century, Interdisciplinary Methods and Findings, (ed. Thomas Inns) Gower Publishing, Surrey, UK, (pp. 101-115), ISBN-13: 987-1-4094-0240-4
- Wood, J., & Backwell, J., (2009), “Mapping Network Consciousness: syncretizing difference to co-create a synergy-of-synergies”, chapter in New Realities: Being Syncretic, Ixth Consciousness Reframed Conference Vienna, 2008. Series: Edition Angewandte Ascott, R.; Bast, G.; Fiel, W.; Jahrmann, M.; Schnell, R. (Eds.) 2009, ISBN: 978-3-211-78890-5
- Wood, J., (2007), “Win-Win-Win-Win-Win-Win: synergy tools for metadesigners”, a chapter in “Designing for the 21st Century, Interdisciplinary Questions and Insights” book, (ed. Thomas Inns) Gower Publishing, ISBN: 978-0-566-08737-0, December 2007
- Wood, J., (2007), in Nick Evans (Editor), “Woodhill Part Critical Forum”, untitled excerpts from a round table discussion with Tobie Kerridge, Fiona Raby and Professor James Woudhuysen – convened by Grit Hartung. Pages 119-135, Published by the Department of Communication Art and Design, Royal College of Art, 2007, ISBN 978-1-905000-36-4
- Wood, J., (2007), “Relative Abundance; Fuller’s discovery that the glass is always half full”, a chapter for “Designers, Visionaries and Other Stories: A collection of sustainable design essays”, (eds. Jonathan Chapman & Nick Gant), book, Earthscan, (August 2007)
- Wood, J., (2005), “How Can We Design Miracles?”, introduction to “Agents of Change: A Decade of MA Design Futures”, pages 10-14, (June 1, 2005), Goldsmiths College, (Hardback), ISBN 1904158617
- Wood, J., (2005), “Design and Language – Design and Writing”, short article in “Agents of Change: A Decade of MA Design Futures”, pages 20-21, (June 1, 2005), Goldsmiths College, (Hardback), ISBN 1904158617
- Wood, J., (2005), (Co-Editor), “Agents of Change: A Decade of MA Design Futures”, (June 1, 2005), Goldsmiths College, (Hardback), ISBN 1904158617, 128 pages
- Wood, J., (2005), text and image (3 pages) in Book “What’s So Great About SE8?”, Edited by Andrew Carmichael, published by the Creative Lewisham Agency, London, September 2005.
- Wood, J., (2001), "Can Drawings Draw Themselves?" chapter in "Drawing Texts", book edited by Jim Savage, Occasional Press, Dublin, February 2001, pp. 199-210.
- Wood, J., (1998), "Re-Designing the Present", chapter in "The Virtual Embodied" book, for Routledge, London and New York, (simultaneously published in USA and Canada), June 1998, ISBN 0-415-16025-1 (hardback), ISBN 0-415-16026-X (paperback), pp. 88-101.
- Wood, J., (1998), "Curvatures in Space-Time-Truth", introductory chapter in "The Virtual Embodied" book, for Routledge, London and New York, (simultaneously published in USA and Canada), June 1998, ISBN 0-415-16025-1 (hardback), ISBN 0-415-16026-X (paperback), pp. 1-12.
- Taylor, P., &Wood, J., (1997), "Mapping the Mapper", in collaboration with Paul Taylor, a chapter in "Computers, Communications, and Mental Models", eds. Donald Day & Diane Kovacs, Taylor & Francis, London, ISBN 0-7484-0543-7, pp. 37-44, January 1997.
- Wood, J., (1976), "Could Tree Farming Answer World Food Needs?" a chapter in the "Handbook of Radical Technology" edited by Peter Harper & Godfrey Boyle, New York: Pantheon Books / Random House, 1976
- Wood, J., (1965), 3D bas-relief etching image used in "Techniques of Etching & Engraving", Brundsdon, J., Batford Press, 1965.
KEYNOTES / Guest Lectures
- Wood, J., (2017), Keynote talk: "The Machine for Saying Sorry", the conference: "With a shift simultaneous realities collide*" at the London College of Communications, March 27th
- Wood, J., (2016), Keynote talk: "Re-inventing Invention", CreativeWorks London Festival, April 16th, Queen Mary University of London
- Wood, J., (2016), Guest lecture, "Thinking Outside the Innovation Box", Swinburne University of Technology, Melbourne, Australia, March 2016
- Wood, J., (2016), Keynote talk: "Some Criteria for Mapping Consciousness in Living Buildings", as part of the CAADRIA conference at Melbourne University, April, 2016 (the conference theme is based on my book "Designing Micro-utopias"
- Wood, J., (2016), Dean's Lecture, Melbourne University, April 2016
- Wood, J., (2015), Keynote talk, "Metadesigners: designing beyond names, codes, forms + signs, Nordes Conference 2015
- Wood, J., (2015), Public lecture, "Can Designers Re-design Design?", Harpa Building, Reykjavik, Iceland, 9th September
- Wood, J., (2015), Keynote talk, "Undivided Mind" symposium, Plymouth, 2015
- Wood, J., (2013), TEDx Talk, "The Creative Quartet - a tool for metadesigners": Oslo 2013
- Wood, J., (2011), Guest Lecture, “Paradigm Change – Synergizing Top-Down & Bottom-up Initiatives”, (as part of our ‘Paradigm Change’ conference), Seoul National University, Seoul, 27th May, 2011
- Wood, J., (2011), Guest Lecture, “The Design Thinking within Metadesign”, Yonsei University, Seoul, 27th April, 2011
- Wood, J., (2011), Guest Lecture, “Eco-semiotics – an introduction”, Kookmin University, Seoul, 8th March, 2011
- Wood, J., (2011), Guest Lecture, “Eco-semiotics within Metadesign”, Kookmin University, Seoul, 15th March, 2011
- Wood, J., (2011), Guest Lecture, “Eco-semiotics and paradigm change”, Kookmin University, Seoul, 5th April, 2011
- Wood, J., (2011), Guest Lecture, “Can Eco-semiotics Enable us to Language the Ineffable?”, 12th April, Kookmin University, Seoul
- Wood, J., (2010), Guest Lecture, “Metadesigning the Synergy of Inter-Hybrids”, 2-day Conference on Inter-Hybrids, Dankook University, Seoul, South Korea, 8th December
- Wood, J., (2010), Guest Lecture, “How Can We Use Metadesign to Change the Paradigm?”, Hongik University, 1st December
- Wood, J., (2010), Guest Lecture, “Re-designing Design for our Survival into the Future”, Sookmyung Women’s College, 27th November
- Wood, J., (2010), Keynote Address “Re-designing Design for our Survival into the Future”, Seoul International Design Fair, Jamsil Sports Complex, Seoul, South Korea, 17th September
- Wood, J., (2009), Keynote Address “Towards a ))))synergy-of-synergies((((”, for the UNESCO-sponsored conference ‘From Now On: Envisioning Nagoya’s Future on the Large Scale and the Small’ in International Design Hall, International Design Center, Nagoya, Japan, November, 2009.
- Wood, J., (2009), - One of Three Keynote Lectures – ‘Diversity-of-Diversities’, final presentation for the ‘Edge of a Dream – Utopias, Landscape and Contemporary Photography’ project curated by Virginia Nimarkoh, Goldsmiths, University of London, 31st January 2009
- Wood, J., (2009), invited speaker, Metamorphosis of Design Management Symposia, London College of Communications, 30th January 2009
- Wood, J., (2008), - Keynote Lecture – ‘Synergizing Research Narratives’, at the Practice-led doctoral / post-doctoral exhibition and symposium Chelsea College of Art and Design, London, 28-30 October, 2008
- Wood, J., (2008), - Inaugural professorship lecture, Goldsmiths University of London, Monday 21st October
- Wood, J., (2008), - in conversation with Malcolm Smith, Design Director of Arup & Partners, ‘Greengaged’ event at the UK Design Council, Monday 15th September
- Wood, J., (2008), - invited to speak (by the Higher Education Academy Subject Centre for Art Design & Media, Brighton University), at the ‘Networks of Design’, The Design History Society Annual Conference, University College Falmouth, 4th September 2008
- Wood, J., (2008), - Keynote Lecture – “Auspicious Reasoning within Education”, given at the Interrogations: Creative Interdisciplinarity in Art and Design Research Conference, Loughborough University, School of Art & Design, May 21st, 2008
- Wood, J., (2008), - Keynote Lecture – “Auspicious Reasoning within Education”, given at the Interrogations: Creative Interdisciplinarity in Art and Design Research Conference, Loughborough University, School of Art & Design, May 21st, 2008
- Wood, J., (2008), - Keynote Lecture – “Auspicious Reasoning; the idea of ‘quadratic innovation’, given at the Building Futures 'Futures Fair' conference, held by the Royal Institute of Building Architects, 15th May, 2008
- Wood, J., (2008), - Keynote Lecture – “Synergy-Cities; a metadesign approach” given at the The Environment Technology Transfer Club (ETTC) and the Industrial Symbiosis Network (ISNet), are both part of the Clean Environment Management Centre (CLEMANCE) based at the University of Teesside as part of their ‘Eco Towns: Viable projects, or white elephant? Conference, May 14th, 2008
- Wood, J., (2007), - Keynote Lecture - “Towards a 4th Order Design” for the ‘Mapping Design Activism’ conference at Leeds University, 14 September, 2007.
- Wood, J., (2007), - Keynote lecture – “Masters of the Universe”, Kunsthøgskolen i Oslo, The Oslo National Academy of the Arts, 7th February, 2007
- Wood, J., (2006), - Keynote Lecture – “The Educational Purpose of Creativity - a clash of perspectives”, staff conference, Plymouth College of Art & Design, 26th October, 2006
- Wood, J., (2006), Keynote lecture - “Relative Abundance; Fuller’s discovery that the glass is always half full”, given at the ‘100% Sustainable’ conference, Olympia, London, 23rd September, 2006
- Wood, J., (2006), - Keynote lecture - “Writing for/in Ethical Practice”, at the Writing-PAD conference, “Where do we go from here? A platform for past and future initiatives”, at Goldsmiths, University of London, 21st September, 2006
- Wood, J., (2004), “Getting us to Utopia”, Keynote paper given at the “Course Leaders’ Conference”, University of the Arts, January, 2004
- Wood, J.,: (2003), "The Language of Design", Keynote speaker at the "Exploring Doors" conference, Heathrow*, London, June 24, 2003
- Wood, J., (2002), “The Generous Meme”, Keynote paper for the inaugural meeting of an international “Ethics in Design Network”, Gothenburg University, Sweden, 22 March, 2002
- Wood, J., (2001), "Can Drawings Draw Themselves?", guest lecture given at the "Drawing Conclusions" seminar, at the Temple Bar Gallery, Dublin, October 19, 2001
ARTICLES / REFEREED PAPERS IN PRINT
- Wood, John, (2010), ‘An Introduction to Metadesign’, Journal of The Art Design Research Institute of KyungHee University, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 1-4, ISSN 11229-1250, 30th December, 2010
- Wood, J., (2009), "Auspicious Reasoning; can metadesign become a mode of governance?”, article in the journal of Postcolonial Studies, Volume 12, Issue 3 September 2009 , pages 315 - 327
- Wood, J., (2009), "Auspicious Reasoning", (refereed) paper published in the online ‘Design Philosophy Papers’, (http://www.desphilosophy.com/dpp/dpp_index.html), Sydney, Australia, Issue, 2009, ISSN:
- Wood, J., (2007), “The tragedy of the Thermostat; Solipsistic v. co-created individuation”, Systemica: Journal of the Dutch Systems Group, Special Issue, Eds. Prof. Dr. G. de Zeeuw, Drs. M. Vahl & E. Mennuti, nrs. 1,2,3,4,5,6, Vol. 14, Lincoln Research Centre, pp. 475-490
- Wood, J., (2007), Guest article “Synergy City; Planning for a High Density, Super-Symbiotic Society”, (Editors P., Jones & H., Jones), Landscape and Urban Planning, Volume 83, Issue 1, 12 November 2007, Pages 77-83, ISSN: 0169-2046
- Nieuwenhuijze, O., & Wood, J., (2006), “Synergy and Sympoiesis in the Writing of Joint Papers; anticipation with/in imagination” International Journal of Computing Anticipatory Systems, edited by Daniel M. Dubois, published by the Centre for Hyperincursive Anticipation in Ordered Systems, Liège, Belgium, Volume 10, pp. 87-102, August 2006, ISSN 1373-541 (11,693 words)
- Wood, J., (2006), "Is Kevin Warwick a Dandy? Observation, self-control and the evolution of perception-steering mechanisms", a festschrift in honour of Professor Felix Geyer, commissioned by RC51 (Research Centre 51 of the International Sociology Association). Published in Kybernetes, The International Journal of Systems & Cybernetics, Vol. 35, no. 3/4, 2006 (4,303 words), ISSN: 0368-492X
- Wood, J., (2005) “The Tetrahedron Can Encourage Designers To Formalise More Responsible Strategies”, for the "Journal of Art, Design & Communication", Volume 3 Issue 3, Editor, Linda Drew, UK, ISSN: 1474-273X, pp. 175-192
- Wood, J., (2005) "Clocks with Awareness; Enhancing the Quality of Time", Vol. 16, 2004, International Journal of Computing Anticipatory Systems, ed. Daniel M. Dubois, Centre for Hyperincursion and Anticipation in Ordered Systems Publications, Liege, Belgium (Proceedings of the Computing Anticipatory Systems Conference, Liège, August 11-16, 2003. ISSN 1373-5411, ISBN 2-930396-02-4, pages 315-325
- Wood, J., (2004), “More Synergy Needed”, ‘Hot Debate’ section, a reply to Anders Rønnau’s observations, Online ‘Design Philosophy Papers’ issue 2, 2004, ISSN 1448-7136
- Wood, J., (2003), "Designing Clocks to Sustain Synergy", (refereed) paper published in the online ‘Design Philosophy Papers’, (http://www.desphilosophy.com/dpp/dpp_index.html), Sydney, Australia, October 2003, Issue 5, 2003, ISSN: 1448-7136
- Wood, J., (2003), "Towards a Cybernetics of Value, Presence, and Anticipation", paper published in KUBERNETES, The International Journal of Systems and Cybernetics, Special Double Issue: Systems and Cybernetics: New Theories and Applications – Part II. Edited by Professor Yi Lin. Volume 32, Number 5/6, 2003, ISSN 0368-492X, pp. 881-888, ISSN: 0368-492X
- Wood, J., (2002), "Un-Managing the Butterfly; ))Co-Sustainment(( and the Grammar of Self", paper published in the International Review of Sociology - Revue Internationale de Sociologie, Vol. 12, No. 2, 2002, Routledge, Taylor & Francis, ISSN 0390-6701 pp. 295 – 307
- Wood, J., (2000), "Towards an Ethics of Flow; Design as an Anticipatory System", paper published in the International Journal of Computing Anticipatory Systems, edited by Daniel M. Dubois, published by the Centre for Hyperincursive Anticipation in Ordered Systems, Liège, Belgium, Volume 10, pp. 87-102, August 2000, ISSN 1373-541
- Wood, J., (2000), "Un-Managing the Butterfly; ))Co-Sustainment(( and the Grammar of Agency" paper published in the Conference Proceedings, Second International Conference on Sociocybernetics, "Designs for Globalisation and Sustainability", Panticosa, Spain, 29 June 2000
- Taiwo, O., & Wood, J., (2000), "Some Proprioceptive Observations of Being-With", (with Olu Taiwo) in "Problems of Action and Observation" Conference Proceedings, edited by Ranulph Glanville and Gerard de Zeeuw, nos. 1,2,3,4,5,6; 1997, vol. 12, published by Systemica, BKS+2000 books, September, 2000, pp. 409-424
- Wood, J., (2000), "The Culture of Rigour", (refereed) article in Design Journal, vol. 3, Issue 3, ISBN: 0566 08308 6, UK, April 2000
- Taiwo, O., & Wood, J., (1998), "Finding Consensual Times in Digital Music", live performance and paper given at the ISEA98 conference, Manchester, UK, September 1998
- Wood, J., (1998), "Can Hypertext Relevate Tacit Design Knowledge?" paper in the International Design and Technology Education Research (IDATER98) conference, Loughborough University, UK, August, 1998
- Wood, J., (1997), "Design After Dualism", paper given at the International Product Design in Education conference, Brunel University, and the abstract published in the proceedings, July 1997
- Wood, J., (1997), "Situated Criticism and the Experiential Present", in the special "Criticism" edition of the Journal of Design Issues, ed. Prof. Nigel Whitely, Vol. 3, no. 2, Summer 1997. ISSN 0747-9360, p.p. 5-15.
- Wood, J., (1996), "Time and Green Design", article in the Special Green edition of Co-Design Journal, eds. Eric Billet and Phillip Goggin, published by CODE, pages 55-56, April/May/June, 1996.
- Wood, J., (1995), "Confounding the Neo-Luddites", article in Co-Design Journal, published by CoDe, pages 52-53, July/August/September, 1995.
EDITED ARTICLES / PAPERS
- Wood, J., (2013), re-languaging The Creative; designing as a comprehensive act of combination”, Journal of Writing in Creative Practice, Vol. 5 Issue 3
- Wood, J., (2012), “In the cultivation of research excellence - is rigour a no-brainer? Journal of Writing in Creative Practice; Mar 2012, Vol. 5 Issue 1, 11-26
- Wood, J. (2011), Languaging Change from Within; can we metadesign biodiversity? Journal of Science and Innovation, 1(3), 27-32.
- Wood, J., (2008), “Auspicious Reasoning”, (edited version of my text for the Journal of Writing in Creative Practice, Vol. 1, Issue 3) – published in the online Journal of Design Philosophy Politics, e-zine 3rd July 2008 http://designphilosophypolitics.informatics.indiana.edu/?p=78
- Wood, J., (2006), “A Tool for Co-Designers; mapping ethical relations in metadesign”, International Journal of Co-Creation in Design and the Arts, Published By: Taylor & Francis, Volume Number: 2, ISSN: 1571-0882 (IN PROGRESS)
- Wood, J., (2005) “The Evolutionary Purpose of Dyslexia”, in Fourth Door Review, issue number 7, Edited by Oliver Lowenstein, Lewes, UK, June 2005, ISSN 1364-5110
- Wood, J., (2004/2001), "Can Drawings Draw Themselves?", in ‘D is for Drawings’, journal, editor Yane Calovski, ISSN 3-937577-61-0, pp. 6-11
- Wood, J., (2004), "Beneficial Design Thinking; design synergy and the generous meme", edited documentation of several lectures incorporated within the Handbook for the Lifestyle Design BA(Hons) programme, Nagoya University of Arts, Nagoya, Japan, 2004 (pp. 68-92)
- Wood, J., (2003), "Taster", Introductory Booklet on Utopia, to accompany the "Attainable Utopias" workshop series, Richard Rogers Partnership Headquarters, Hammersmith, London, 2003
- Wood, J., (2002), "Drawing a Line?", article in Circa 101; contemporary visual culture in Ireland Journal, edited by Peter Fitzgerald, Dublin, Autumn, 2002, pp. 36-39
- Wood, J., (2000),"2-D Writing in a 4-D World", paper given at the "New Kinds of Writing in the Academy; ESAP in the Humanities" Conference, Goldsmiths College, 26 February, 2000
- Wood, J., (1994), Interview on the future of design in Design Journal; p. 43, 1994 May.
- Wood, J., (1994), Guest review as participant of the "Sustainable Lifestyles" Conference, (organised by the 02 Global Network) in "Items" journal, Rotterdam, Holland, p.30, April 1994.
- Wood, J., (1991), "Pay and Play" (The Shopper's Continuum), Design International Magazine, August 1991.
- Wood, J., (1991), "The Development of an Information Exchange Network and Publishing System for Members of 02 International"; 1991.
- Wood, J., (1991), "Towards a Greener World or a Blacker Hole – The New Networking & Database Technologies", 02 Pages, p. 9-12", 02 Magazine, September, 1991.
- Wood, J., (1990), "Browsing for One's Own Ideas", Wood, J., & Clarke, M., Kings College Computing Centre publication "Autumn Collection", 1990.
- Wood, J., (1988), "The Socially Responsible Designer", leader article, Design (journal), October 1988.
- Wood, J., (1975), "Do We Need an Alternative Electronics Industry?", Undercurrents Magazine - July 1975 (6 pages).
- Wood, J., with Lockheart, J., (Joint Managing Editors), Journal of Writing in Creative Practice, (Official journal of the Writing-PAD Network), Intellect Books, (First issue published in December 2007)
- ADVISORY BOARD MEMBER - Birkhäuser Board of International Research in Design (BIRD) (2015-2017)
- EDITORIAL BOARD MEMBER – Journal of Advances in Systems Science and Applications (ASSA). Organ of the International Institute for General Systems Studies (http://www.iigss.net/) Editor-in-Chief, Professor Yi-Lin Forrest (2012- )
- EDITORIAL BOARD MEMBER - Journal of Science & Innovation, ISSN 2078-5453, Taiwanese Institute of Knowledge innovation (2011- )
- EDITORIAL BOARD MEMBER - Journal of Culture & Creative Industries Research, ISSN 2221-6170, Taiwanese Institute of Knowledge Innovation (2011- )
- EDITORIAL BOARD MEMBER – Zoontechnica Journal, South Bank Campus, Griffith University, PO Box 3370, South Brisbane 4101, Australia
- EDITORIAL ADVISOR: "Scientific Inquiry" - Journal of the International Institute for General Systems Studies, Inc., www.iigss.net, ISSN 1552-1222, USA, Editor-in-Chief, Professor Yi-Lin Forrest, 2005-
- EDITORIAL BOARD MEMBER: "The Fourth Door Review", ISSN 1364-5110, Editor Oliver Lowenstein, UK, (2003- )
- REVIEWER: Leonardo Online Journal, 2003-
- CORRESPONDING EDITOR: "The Design Philosophy Papers", Online Publication editor Professor Tony Fry, Sydney, Australia, 2003-
- ADVISOR: planning / launch of "Redesign" magazine, (new journal of the Ecological Design Association), UK, 2003-
- EDITORIAL BOARD MEMBER: member of the Editorial Board of The Journal of Technology and Design, Seoul, Korea, 2002-3
RECORDINGS & BROADCASTS
- Deaf School (2011) CD “Enrico & Bette” (DeafSchoolMusic - London), January 2011
- Deaf School (2005) CD “Second Honeymoon” (Strange Days Records - Japan) WAS-1083
- Deaf School (2005) CD “Don’t Stop the World” (Strange Days Records - Japan) WAS-1084
- Deaf School (2005) CD “English Boys/Working Girls” (Strange Days Records - Japan) WAS-1085)
- Deaf School (2003), Double CD (24 tracks), “What A Way to End it All” by Deaf School, CMEDD 797, (Castle Music, UK) CMEDD797
- Deaf School (1989), CD "Second Coming" (14-track CD Demon Records, UK)
- Deaf School (1978) “English Boys / Working Girls” (Warner Bros. K56450)
- Deaf School (1978) “Thunder and Lightning / Working Girls” (7": Warner Bros. K 17100)
- Deaf School (1977) “Taxi/Last Night” (1977 7": Warner Bros. K 16870)
- Deaf School (1977) “Don’t Stop the World” (10-track vinyl album – Warner Bros. K 56364)
- Deaf School (1976) “2nd Honeymoon” UK (12-track CD4 Quadraphonic 'Quadradisc' LP, (Warner Bros. K256280)
- Deaf School (1976) “What a Way to End It All / Nearly Moonlit Night Motel” (7": Warner Bros. K 16812 7)
- Performances in Tokyo, 2011 and 2015
- UK performances (2006-2013) numerous and ongoing (see http://deafschoolmusic.com/#/all-time-gig-list/4562555753)
- Performance (2006) ‘Opus 3’ – (commissioned by the Bluecoat Gallery), Liverpool, 5th July, 2006 (Guest appearance on behalf of the ‘Foreign Investment’ artists’ collective)
- Performance Liverpool 27th May, 2006 – for the opening celebration of ‘The New Picket’, with Deaf School band
- Performance (2006) Chester 25th May, 2006 – with Deaf School
- Performance (2006) Buckingham 20th May, 2006 – with Deaf School
- PERFORMER: (2005), dancer in 'Carrotica', by Ballet de Bim, at 'The Place', Euston, London, 16th February, 2005
- PERFORMER: (1998), Live musical performance as member of the "Return Beat Ensemble" at the "Practice | Presence | Technology" conference, Institute of Contemporary Arts, London, 16 October 1998.
- PERFORMER: (1998), "Finding Consensual Times in Digital Music", live performance (with Olu Taiwo) to illustrate theoretical paper given at the ISEA98 conference, Manchester, UK, September 1998.
- PERFORMER: (1998), live performance (with Olu Taiwo) accompanying theoretical paper given at the "Simplicity in Complexity" conference, 14th World Congress of Sociology, Montreal, July-August 1998.
- PERFORMER: (1997), Performance for charity with an ad hoc musical band "House of Lords" featuring assorted pop stars at St. Johns, Smiths Square, London, 1997.
- PERFORMER: (1996) "A Lady Varnishes": live performance with Alma Tischler under the auspices of the Battenburgs, as part of the 1996 Whitechapel Open Exhibition. September 1996.
- PERFORMER: (1988 -89) Live tour with re-united Deaf School at Hillsborough benefit concerts at several selected venues in Liverpool and London.
- PERFORMER: (1983-84), Co-founding of the Kreutzer Quintet, leading to a series of performances in London at the AIR Gallery, Coracle Press, Diorama, the Arts Factory, etc., 1983-84. (players were artists Grenville Davey, Jackie Pennell, Ben Browton, Stephen Taylor-Woodrow, and others)
- PERFORMANCE: (1975), Deaf School won the UK national Melody Maker rock competition, 1975.
- PERFORMER: (1974-78), Co-founding, writing, and performing with "Deaf School" rock band with Clive Langer, Steve Allen and others. (UK, Europe and USA tours)
- WRITER/DIRECTOR: (1970), "King of Shouting House" - produced at the Bradford Festival, 1970.
- WRITER/DIRECTOR: (1969), "King of Shouting House" - a computer assisted play for 28 actors, commissioned for the "Play Orbit" Festival, Institute of Contemporary Arts, London 1969
- Wood, J., & Godbold., D.,(1988), "Endangered Species": this work was commissioned as part of the Cambridge Festival, 1988. (A new version of the previous work entailed integrating the "viewing cubes" with the glass-cases of dead game birds and kitsch ephemera in the "Hat & Feathers Pub", Cambridge)
- Wood, J., & Godbold., D., "Godbold & Wood" an exhibition of photographic works at the Mori Gallery, Sydney, Australia, 1988.
- Wood, J., & Godbold., D.,(1988), "Endangered Species", Actualités Gallery, Docklands, London, 1988 (in collaboration with David Godbold). This installation work comprised twenty wall-mounted cubes in a specially adapted gallery space; Each cube had a viewing window with a fresnel lens. Within each cube is an interior scene animated with motorised models, still photographs, and lights, plus a wall-mounted plaque bearing a text by Matthew Arnold.
- Wood, J., & Godbold., D.,(1987), "Striking Water from the Rock", The Chisenhale Gallery, London, 1987 (in collaboration with David Godbold). This installation work incorporated large-scale photographic panels of figures ‘gazing’ at one another across the gallery space. In the centre the object of their gaze was a projection on an animated 3-D screen of a full colour rendering of a human head.
- Wood, J., & Godbold., D.,(1986), "Levate Gravitatem Uteri Mei - the enticement of weightlessness" (Version 2), commissioned and funded by the Artangel Trust, London. (full-sized facade and slot-viewable digital 3D image built onto shop-front premises at 18, Old Compton Street, Soho - in collaboration with David Godbold)
- Wood, J., (1982), "On the Side of Things", The Scratch Gallery, (gallerist - Paul Hedge) London, 1982.
- Wood, J., (1980), Invention and development of a system for making "true-image" animated holograms in consultation with the American holographer Bill Molteni, 1980. (it entailed the construction of a programmable holographic camera that projects up to 80 serial exposures on a photographic plate. This was synchronised with an automatically animated subject; The system re-played the series as white-light viewable holograms that animated when seen by a moving voyeur).
- Wood, J., (1975), Invention and development of Sunsharer prototype for urban greenhouse system exhibited at the Kunsternes Hus, Calo, Norway, 1975.
- Wood, J., (1975), Registration of a company to manufacture and distribute the "Black Box" solar panel control circuit, 1975.
- Wood, J., (1974), design and development of control circuit (the "Black Box") for regulating one of the first practical solar roofs in the UK at Eithen-y-Gaeir, North Wales, 1974. Booklet "Design for a Solar Roof" written in collaboration with Dr. Phillip Brachi (Published by Biotechnic Research and Development Ltd) 1975.
- Wood, J., (1972), "The Tune Doodler" - electronic sculpture commissioned as part of Bonnier International's "Toys by Artists" programme in 1972. The final works were exhibited in 86 department stores and more than a dozen major museums of art in 17 countries.
- INSTALLATION ARTWORK: (1994), "The Lovers" Clock": a joint exhibition with Alma Tischler at the Anna Bornholt Gallery, London, April 1994.
- INSTALLATION ARTWORK: (1990), "National Trust", commissioned permanent installation at Aldwych House", London, 1990.
- INSTALLATION ARTWORK: (1988), "Blue Movie III" at the Anna Bornholt Gallery, London, September-December, 1989.
- INSTALLATION ARTWORK: (1989), "Blue Movie III", Ikon Gallery, Birmingham as part of the "Searchlight" exhibition, 1989.
- INSTALLATION: (1988), "Blue Movie III", Pomeroy Purdy Gallery, London, 1988
- INSTALLATION: (1989-90), "Absent Mosaic". This work was shown as part of the "Spiritual Dimension" exhibition at: Peterborough Museum and Art Gallery, Worcester City Museum, Christchurch Mansion, Ipswich, Herbert Art Gallery, Coventry, Winchester Art Gallery, Shipley Art Gallery, Gateshead
- INSTALLATION: "(1988), Captive", Sydney Biennial, Australia, 1988.
- INSTALLATION: (1988), "Blue Movie I", Pomeroy Purdy Gallery, London, 1988.
- INSTALLATION: (1988), "Blue Movie II", Pomeroy Purdy Gallery, London, 1988.
- INSTALLATION ARTWORK: (1987), "Child of Our Time", Richard Pomeroy Gallery, London, 1987.
- INSTALLATION ARTWORK: (1987), "Predicament" Kettles Yard Galley, Cambridge (This comprised a small, wall-mounted triptych with specially made photographic transparencies and integral fluorescent light), 1987.
- INSTALLATION ARTWORK: (1986), "Levate Gravitatem Uteri Mei - the enticement of Weightlessness" (Version 1) a specially built archway through which visitors peered into a tabernacle-like construction. Kettles Yard Gallery, Cambridge, 1986.
- INSTALLATION ARTWORK: (1985), many works in the three person exhibition "Targets and Shields" at the Unit 7 Gallery, London, with Andrew Carmichael and Colin Dark.
- INSTALLATION ARTWORK: (1982), Exhibition of a series of my animated "true image" holograms at: - The Bath Contemporary Art Fair, and in "The Holography Show" (Orchard Gallery, Derry; Ulster Museum, Belfast; The Project, Dublin; Cardiff Chapter; Wolverhampton; Stoke-on-Trent, Bristol) 1982.
- INSTALLATION ARTWORK: (1981), Exhibition of one of the first animated "true-image" holograms - "Scissors and teapot" - included in the "Spotlights and Glass Plates" exhibition at the Goldsmiths" Holography Gallery, 1981.
- INSTALLATION: (1987), "Captive", Nigel Greenwood Gallery, London, 1987.
- Wood, J., (2004), "Research Profile: Design", Research Hallmark (Goldsmiths Research Newsletter), Spring 2004, pp. 5-9
- Wood, J., (2004), "Gustav Metzger at the Tate Modern”, Jewish Quarterly, June, 2004
- Wood, J., (2000), review of "The Fourth Door Review" in international online Leonardo Journal, December, 2000 - later in OutLine journal, February 2000
- INTERVIEWER: (2005), artist Gustav Metzger about his curating of the EAST '05 exhibition in Norwich on ‘Tenant Spin’ TV (Liverpool-based Community Arts Channel), July 2nd, 2005.
- Wood, J., (2006), Critical Studies in Media and Communication, Editor: Linda Steiner, Department of Journalism and Media Studies, Rutgers University, USA. ISSN 0739-3180, ISSN Online 1479-5809, (publication date unknown at this time)
REVIEWS / INTERVIEWS RELATING TO MY WORK
- Live radio interview with Dr. Hans Schattle, on 17th September, 2010, TBS Radio eFM, Seoul, concerning my role in the Seoul Design Fair, Design Seoul International Conference: Resigning Design of Survival into the Future
- Live radio interview with Yoon Jung (Erin) Bai on 1st June, 2011, TBS Radio eFM, Seoul, concerning our Paradigm Change conference at Seoul National University on 27th May, 2011.
- CD REVIEW: (2004), Deaf School double CD: "What a Way to End it All", (four star review), 'Q' magazine, January 2004, "Review", p. 132
- INTERVIEWED BY Henrietta Thompson: (2003) for the article "Future Perfect", Blueprint Journal; Architecture, Design, Culture No. 206, April 2003, p. 61
- INTERVIEWED BY Jennifer Currie: (2000), "Dreams, Dogs, Design", an interview about my teaching methods, Time Higher Educational Supplement, February 18, 2000
- REVIEW: (1989), "Searchlight, Ikon Gallery" by Brian Hatton - a paragraph and photograph in Artscribe reviewing "Blue Movie III" - September 1989.
- REVIEW: (1989), "Searchlight" by Michael Archer - a paragraph and photograph in Art Monthly reviewing "Blue Movie III" - July1989.
- REVIEW: (1989), "Installation Art", a review in Arena comparing contemporary international artists who make installation artworks: - several references and photographs of my work, March 1989.
- REVIEW: (1988), "Godbold & Wood" By Marjorie Allthorpe-Guyton in ARTSCRIBE (a review and photographs devoted to several work) Summer1988.
- REVIEW: (1988), "Actualités", by Adrian Searle in ARTFORUM, (a review and photographs devoted to the "Endangered Species" exhibition), April1988.
- REVIEW: (1988), "Godbold & Wood: Endangered Species", by Jonathan Watkins in ART MONTHLY (a review of the named work) April 1988
- REVIEW: (1988), "Godbold & Wood" by Jonathan Watkins in FLASH ART; a review devoted to several of our works, Summer 1988.
- REVIEW: (1987), Watkins, Jonathan, ART MONTHLY "Artangel, Chisenhale, Godbold & Wood", May 1987.
- REVIEW: (1987), "Godbold & Wood" (catalogue essay) by Stuart Morgan, devoted to the "Captive" project and its significance within the "Under the Sign of Saturn" exhibition, curated by its author.) August 1987.
- REVIEW: (1987), " Under the Sign of Saturn": a paragraph by Adrian Searle reviewing "Captive" in Artscribe Journal, November 1987.
- Wood, J., (1991), "Pegasus and Paracelsus", catalogue essay for art exhibition by Wolfgang Ellenreider, Verein fur Originalradierung, Munich, 1991.
- Wood, J., (1988), Untitled catalogue essay for art exhibition of Brigitte Tischler, The Vera Engelhorn Gallery, Broadway, New York, October 1988
- (1985-7) Admissions Tutor - Department of Visual Arts - Goldsmiths Diploma in Art
- (1989-1992) Admissions Tutor - Department of Design - BA(Hons) Design
- (1995-) Admissions Tutor - Department of Design - MA Design Futures
- (Chair) Research Committee
- (Chair) External Relations Team
- (Chair) Teaching and Learning Committee
- (Chair) Staff-Student Liaison Committee.
- (Chair) Living Futures Steering Group
GOLDSMITHS COMMITTEES & WORKING PARTIES
- 2004 - Ethics Committee
- 2000 - Environmental Policy Working Party
- 2002 - (Chair) Working party on policy for London University ‘CD-ROMs in PhD’ decision
- 2004 - Working Party on the implementation of PDP (Personal Development Programme)
- Wood, J., (2010), “Co-Designing Team Synergies within Metadesign”, paper given at the “Young Creators for a Better City and a Better Life” conference, Shanghai, CUMULUS conference, September 8th, 2010
- Wood, J., (2008), “Changing the Change: A Fractal Framework for Metadesign”, Paper presented for Changing the Change Conference, Institute of Biotechnology, Torino, Italy, 3 July – 10th, 11th & 12th July 2008
- Backwell, J., & Wood, J., (2008), Mapping Network Consciousness: syncretizing difference to co- create a synergy-of-synergies, Paper presented for the Consciousness Reframed Conference, New Realities: Being Syncretic, Vienna, Austria, 3 July – 5 July 2008, University of Applied Arts Vienna
- Wood, J., (2008), - Lecture – ‘Diversity-of-Diversities’, penultimate presentation for the ‘Edge of a Dream’ project curated by Virginia Nimarkoh, Goldsmiths, University of London, 31st January 2009, July 3rd, 2008
- Wood, J., (2007), - Progress Presentation to the (AHRC/EPSRC-funded) ‘Designing for the 21st Century’ Researchers, Design Council, London, 19th March, 2007
- Wood, J., (2007), “Embodied Knowledge”, lecture to Royal College of Art students, 24th April, 2007
- Wood, J., (2007), “Dancing with Disorder: Synergizing Synergies within Metadesign”, conference paper Conference ‘Dancing with Disorder’, 11-13 April, 2007, Izmir, Turkey
- Wood, J., (2006), - Presentation of outcomes from the 2005 ‘Synergy within Metadesign’ project within a Knowledge-Sharing Workshop convened by the funding bodies (Designing for the 21st Century, EPSRC and AHRC) 21st November, 2006
- Wood, J., (2006), “Genetic Language”, lecture to Royal College of Art students, 9th June, 2006
- Wood, J., (2006), “Integrating Writing and Practice”, Writing-PAD conference, York St. Johns University, 27th April
- Wood, J., (2006), “Ecological Creativity; using fractal maps to guide ethical practice”, paper given at the ‘Reflections on Creativity’ Conference, 22 April, 2006, Dundee
- Wood, J., (2006), “Win-Win-Win-Win - Synergy in Metadesign”, project leader’s presentation on behalf of the ds21 team, AHRC/EPSRC ‘Designing for the 21st Century’ research project, RIBA, London, 7th March, 2006
- Wood, J., (2006), “Towards a Synergy of Synergies”, EPSRC/AHRC funded colloquium, Design Council, London, 21st March, 2006
- Wood, J., (Panel discussion member), “Design Histories: Informing Design Writing And Practice, An Exploration of The Relationship Between Design history and contemporary design writing and practice”, Held at the Royal Society of Arts, London. The event was organised by Blueprint Journal, UK, and the Rhode Island School of Design, New York, Podcast http://www.livelanguage.org/index.php/design/design-histories-informing-design-writing-and-practice/#comments 23rd September, 2005
- Wood, J., (2005), & Nieuwenhuijze, O., (2005), “Synergy and Sympoiesis in the Writing of Joint Papers; anticipation with/in imagination”, paper given at Seventh International Conference on Computing Anticipatory Systems, Liège, Belgium, August 8-13, 2005 held at HEC Management School - University of Liege.
- Wood, J., (2005), "(How) Can Designers Learn to Enhance Synergy within Complex Systems?", conference paper to given at the 'DESIGNsystemEVOLUTION' conference in Bremen, Germany, March 2005
- Wood, J., (2004), “Writing the Design”, writing methods paper presented as part of the “WritingPAD Research Project”, Royal College of Art, May 11, 2004
- Wood, J., (2004), “Attainable Utopias”, workshop on “Designing Networks of Innovation”, MacDonald Egan Developments HQ, Ltd., London, June 2004
- Wood, J., (2004), "Could Synergies of Relations in Design Become the Basis for Professional Standards of Eudaemonia?" Refereed paper given at the FutureGround conference, Melbourne, November 2004.
- Wood, J., (2004), "Rigour and Research", professional seminar for senior academic and administrative staff of Unitc, Auckland, New Zealand, November 2004.
- Wood, J., (2003), "The Wisdom of Nature=The Nature of Wisdom", participant at the 5th Conference of the European Academy "Techné: Design Wisdom", University of Barcelona, 28, 29, 30 April, 2003
- Wood, J., (2003), Visiting Professorship: Lecture: "Beneficial Design Thinking", Nagoya Design University, Nagoya, Japan, May 27, 2003
- Wood, J., (2003), Visiting Professorship: Lecture: "The Responsible Designer", guest speaker at Nagoya Design University, Nagoya, Japan, May 29, 2003
- Wood, J., (2003), Visiting Professorship – Public Lecture: "The Nature of Wisdom = The Wisdom of Nature", at The Ecopal Centre, Nagoya, Japan, June 6, 2003
- Wood, J., (2003), “Clocks with Synergy”, paper presented at the Fifth International Conference on Computing Anticipatory Systems, Centre for Hyperincursion and Anticipation in Ordered Systems, Liege, Belgium, August 2003
- Wood, J., (2003), "The Wisdom of Nature=The Nature of Wisdom", participant at the 5th Conference of the European Academy "Techné: Design Wisdom", University of Barcelona, 28, 29, 30 April, 2003
- AUTHOR & SESSION CHAIR: (2002), "Towards a cybernetics of presence and anticipation", invited paper for the 'Recent Progress in Systems and Cybernetics", convened by the JCWOSC (Joint conference of World Organization of Systems and Cybernetics) and the IIGSS (International Institute for General System Studies), at Pittsburgh, USA, March 24-26, 2002
- AUTHOR: (2002), "Ecology and Design Futures", invited lecture for the MA Design Management programme at Brunel University, April 17, 2002
- Wood, J., (2002), "The Future of Presence", guest speaker at the "Exploring Rooms" conference, Design Museum, London, June 21, 2002
- Wood, J., (2001), "Immersion and Embeddedness", paper presented at the "Immersion" conference, Kent Institute of Art and Design, June 15, 2001
- Wood, J., (2000), "Artists as subliminal attractors in the chaos of globalisation" paper presented at the ReMote Conference on Art and Technology, Lampeter University, Wales, September 2000
- Wood, J., (2000), "Co-Sustainability", paper presented at the "Is Sustainability Sustainable?" conference, Design Museum, London, December 11, 2000
- PRESENTER: (1999), "Writing and Reflective Practice", Goldsmiths College, University of London, professional development seminar in preparation for the Institute of Learning and Teaching application, September, 1999
- Wood, J., (1998), "Human Presence in Digital Space-Time" paper given at the "Practice | Presence | Technology" conference, Institute of Contemporary Arts, London, 16 October, 1998
- Wood, J., (1997), "Fashion, Ecology, and Presence", Conference paper, Central St. Martins School of Art, London, (29th May 1997)
- Taiwo, O., & Wood, J., (1997), "Some Proprioceptive Observations of Being-With", paper given in collaboration with Olu Taiwo at the "Problems of Action and Observation" Conference, Centre for Innovation and Co-operative Technology, Amsterdam University, The Netherlands, (April, 1997)
- Wood, J., (1996), "Temporal Alienation", Conference paper given at the international "Doors of Perception 4" (on the theme of "Speed"), Amsterdam, The Netherlands, (November 1996)
- Wood, J., (1995), "Virtual Space", lecture in the "Talking Loud" series, organised by Paul Hedge, Lewisham Library, (October, 1995)
- Wood, J., (1995), "Re-Designing Designing; limits to eco-radicalism in design education"; paper given at the "Eco Design: whither does it go?" conference at the Department of Philosophy in the Environment, Manchester University, (October 1995)
- Wood, J., (1995), "The idea of academic rigour in 4-D space": paper delivered at the "4-D Dynamics" conference, Design Research Society, De Montfort University, Leicester, UK, (September 1995),
- Wood, J., (1995), "Real Estate & the Virtual Farm": paper delivered at the "Embodied Knowledge and Virtual Space" conference, Goldsmiths University of London, (June 1995)
- Wood, J., (1994), "Chaos and the Virtual Library - strange attractors in the design studio", paper given at IDATER "94 conference (International Design and Technology Education Research) at Loughborough University, Leicestershire, UK, (August, 1994)
- Wood, J., (1993), "A Convivial Authoring Environment for Researchers in Art & Design", Conference Paper, Prolog in Education Group "93, Heriot Watt University, Edinburgh, (July 1993)
- Wood, J., (1993), "A Hypertext Environment for Researchers in Art & Design", Conference Paper, "Hypermedia in Vaasa", Finland, (May 1993)
- Wood, J., (1993), "Activities in the UK", Keynote Lecture about the IDEAbase System to members of 02 Global Network and the Press at the Danish Parliament Building, Copenhagen, Denmark, (February 1993)
- Wood, J., (1992), "The Notion of Relational Design"; a paper given at the 17th ICSID (International Chartered Society of Industrial Designers) Conference - Ljubljana, Slovenia, (May 1992)
- Wood, J., (1992), "Maintaining the Implicitness of Implicit Knowledge in a Hypertext Authoring System" paper delivered at the "Designing the Future" Conference, Copenhagen, Denmark, (18th-I9th June, 1992)
- Wood, J., (1984) "Ideas, Paradigms, and Transactions", paper given at the Modelling and Model-Makers conference at the Courtauld Institute, London, (July 1884)
return to home