(An overview of a project in progress)
See a list of all meetings and notes
- The project was initiated byHyaesook Yang, Dan Griner and John Wood in October 2021.
- We did not start with a specific plan but wanted to work with metadesign.
- Humans are monkeys who increasingly depend on the tools they design.
- We have inadvertently created the Anthropocene (an increasingly unstable and hostile environment for us)
- Although future citizens will need to think more holistically our brains evolved to think locally.
- We are unaccustomed to the scale and gravity of our responsibility (from the micro-local to the macro).
- Unfortunately, some people are turned off by jargon - or by theory that is needlessly-complex or pretentious.
- We asked ourselves whether children would have the same difficulties (biases?) in understanding the challenge.
- Would children understand our Metadesign publications?
- If not - what would we need to do to make metadesign itself accessible and useable?
- We decided not to make arbitrary decisions about the age group until we had conducted some experiments.
- We wanted to know how to enable adults to learn more from children and how they ask questions and reason.
- We wanted to know how adults might help children to think about, and to address, important issues more effectively.