Report on behalf of Platform-7
- This advisory report was compiled after several conversations with John McKiernan, early in 2014.
- It was compiled using some of our metadesign tools and our ten principles of metadesigning.
- It highlights some benefits of a metadesigners approach and offers some of its own keywords.
- The Metadesigners Network hopes to adapt its methods to the needs of this project.
- We look forward to working with John's company to make these suggestions work on a practical basis.
- John McKiernan invited Metadesigners to help him refine the conceptual framework for establishing Platform-7.
- Although his concept attracts great interest and goodwill from leading experts some see it as enigmatic.
- And many see enigma as a negative element, especially if it frightens off possible new partners or supporters.
- On the other hand, we know that many new paradigms seem impossible, or resist description, before they become established.
- In this case, London-based entrepreneur John has already created many unique and successful ventures (e.g. remembrance events).
- His last project (Moonbow Jakes) is still hard to describe, so this may also be true of the Platform-7 initiative.
YOUR VISION STATEMENT SHOULD ENSURE THAT PLATFORM-7 IS ALWAYS PART OF THE SOLUTION (NOT THE PROBLEM)
- This means collaborating with radical innovators to find business models for the new paradigm.
- N.b. The lack of clear objectives in this recommendation is strategic.
- It was inspired by Transition Towns, who decided not to wait for a clear strategy before announcing their determination to attain their objectives, somehow.
- N.b. The neologism entredonneur may be helpful in identifying distinctions between Platform-7's altruistic form of 'entrepreneurship' and other modes of business entrepreneurship.
YOUR FRAMEWORK SHOULD ENCOURAGE COMMUNITIES TO CLEARLY ENVISION BETTER (e.g. LOW CARBON) LIFESTYLES
- A local Attainable Utopias framework could augment top-down, prescribed-choice, ballot-box democracy.
- (UK) political discourse uses adversarial logic to offer 'facts' and 'choices'.
- This reflects the enduring Western preoccupation with 'truth' and 'rights'.
- It is a legacy of the ancient Greeks and successive admirers.
- Evidence-based science exemplifies this dominant genre of 'truth'.
- Here, 'evidence' is seen as 'data' that reflects reality.
- However, it also reflects the mindset of the scientist who 'designed' the particular observational act.
- Science is only a translation of Nature's (unthinkable) handwriting into comparable/readable scripts/laws.
- This is a reason why shared envisioning (aspiration-based motivation) is underestimated.
- Factual, 'truth-centred' reasoning is only useful if we can imagine wise ways to act upon it.
- Truth-centred thinking is not a vital pre-requisite to outcome-centred modes of reasoning.
- Logically speaking, even designing miracles is a feasibility.
- In a chemical reaction, a catalyst is the opposite of an 'inhibitor'.
- A catalyst is the 'host' for reaction and transformation in other agents (chemicals).
- It does so without using much energy and without seriously affecting the process that it facilitates.
- It may host many catalytic reactions in parallel.
- It is not consumed by the process.
YOU SHOULD VALUE DIFFERENCE AS YOUR PRIMARY ASSET
- This may require an acclimatisation period as it is an unfamiliar way to see the world.
- You will need to focus on relations (how things combine well) rather than auditing discrete resources or assets
- Industrial economies invest powerful emotions in quantity (e.g. money, oil etc.)
- They perpetuate the myth that abundance is synonymous with quantity.
- But no single asset, material or entity has any value on its own.
- Abundance can only be created by combining different things appropriately.
- Current industrial/economic mindset founded on several moot assumptions:
LOOK FOR AUSPICIOUS COMBINATIONS OF DIFFERENCES THAT MIGHT GENERATE NEW SYNERGIES
- Bicycles are already packed full of excellent engineering synergies
- Sprouts and broccoli already have useful nutritional synergies when combined in the same meal.
- One advantage of hierarchically managed systems is that they can convey top-down instructions very quickly and efficiently.
- This enables the organisation to adapt to new instructions quickly.
- This can be problematic, if the information passed down is wrong, misjudged, unfamiliar, vague or confusing.
- Systemically speaking, top-down
- Maturana & Varela)
ENHANCE YOUR DIFFERENCE-BASED ASSETS BY ASSEMBLING A DIVERSITY-OF-DIVERSITIES
- ecological/racial/professional/technological/nutritional/cognitive/spiritual etc.
- e.g. cited in our Rio document)
USE YOUR DIVERSITY-OF-DIVERSITIES AS A CREATIVE FUND FOR ACHIEVING AN ULTIMATE Synergy-of-Synergies
Fig. 2 - triangle & tetrahedron represent ‘team players’ (in green) and their relations (red)
REDUCE COGNITIVE OVERHEADS IN COMPLEX SYSTEMS USING OUR CREATIVE QUARTETS METHODOLOGY
- Where 3 team players (green letters: A, B, C) can combine to produce 3 synergies (the 3 lines, 1, 2, 3), 4 players can combine to produce 6 synergies (i.e. twice this number). This is explained by a mathematical law of topology (c.f. Euler, 1751) that can be regarded as a law of universal abundance (Fuller, 1969) and harnessed in scholarship (Wood, 2000) and manifold forms of entrepreneurship (Wood, in Chapman, 2007; Wood, 2010).
- See more on the logic of the tetrahedron
- Language this using terms that are meaningful and inspiring to you (Platform-7)
- 3. Second, make effective (separate?) translations to each partner/client/supporter.
- 4. Choose 4 key concepts that are as distinctly different from each other as possible.
- 5. Ensure each quartet has 6 useful complementarities when combining the 4 in pairs.
- 6. This may be achieved by keeping versions of the 4 that are grammatical equivalents
- 7. Or it may be achieved by ensuring that the 4 entities operate as a whole proposition in which some act as verbs, others as nouns, etc.
- 8. By making different versions (as above) it should be possible to create a template that invites a mission statement and clear agenda of action.
- for an integrative (rather than temporal) nature of ecological systems.
- 1. Replace resource-focused approaches with a more relational strategy.
- 2. Cultivate visions of synergy.