an annotated selection of 21 metadesign tools
Return to / go to m21 Tools
The Background Story
- We sketched out almost a hundred tools for metadesigners.
- These were created by our metadesigners research team (2005-2008).
- Their ultimate purpose is to seed a paradigm change that would enhance biodiversity.
- The meta-tetrahedron consists of 7 separate tools, each based on the same concept.
- Many more are nearing completion.
Tools in progress
- Habits are guided by a language system that frames beliefs and assumptions.
- By steering the metaphors we may re-frame the conditions we perceive to be 'real'
- Again, shared realities can be shifted by language tools such as collective story-telling or the consensual values tool which quickly enables novice participants to agree defining terms to help to bind them as a team.
- It would encourage holarchic teams of trans-disciplinary and interdisciplinary designers.
- This requires team effort and to facilitate better team work it is important to compose dynamic teams.
- How can designers help us to become greener, when the economic system dictates how designers work?
Thinking beyond what is 'thinkable'
- Paradigm change is difficult because future paradigms are 'unthinkable' unless we can think in new ways.
- One of our team methods is to agree that designing miracles is possible
- Another of our team tools is thinking from inside - and from outside - the box
Can Ethics Inspire a New Enterprise Culture?
- The world is four-dimensional - so why is morality only one-dimensional?
- Multi-dimensional thinking encourages enterprise.
- Sustainability is a lose-win offer - but we need a win-win-win-win offer
- More positive tools e.g. POUT - not SWOT analysis yield more positive outcomes
Managing Collective Creativity
- The return beat brings you in touch with yourself
- Walking and talking - then talking and listening
Managing Individual Creativity
- Two-directional Curiosity Tool
- Innovation from Diversity
- Managing moments of synergy
- co-authoring / sympoiesis
- Wearing the dream, wearing the poster (name tags) MT AL
- Steering metaphors JL
Tools for Complex Systems
- Innovation Mapper - Many-Agent Parallel Abductive Reasoning
- Keystone Synergies tool
- Four-fold Integration
- The importance of Diversity
- Scaling Within Fractal Systems