TUFF Climate Workshop Planning Meeting 5
10th August 2018 in Hexagon Room
For MA Design students and honoured guests
Some Key Terms
anger | anxiety | crisis | denial | displacement | dissociation | fear | insatiability | jeong | person-centered therapy | responsibility | trauma
N.B. If you disagree with any of these notes, please let me know and I will amend. I have ‘translated’ comments and criticisms into ACTION PROPOSALS (constructive recommendations)
Action Proposals (all practical proposals could be located here). Turning problems, or difficulties, into practical tools or methods is a technique we developed when thinking about radical optimism. JW
- Jinyoung Lee found this article showing possible links between global warming and neurodegenerative disorders.
- This week we will ask everyone for their views on Climate change
- E.g. do we believe:
- that it is happening?
- that it is the result of human actions?
- that it is reversible?
- that technology is the best way to solve it?
What are the causes of collective inertia? Why is that many people may have heard about climate change yet (appear to) do nothing about it?
ACTION: Find out more about the attitude:‘nothing affects me personally’
ACTION: Find out more about our tolerance for ‘cognitive dissonance’
Find out more about our reluctance/inability to think in the long term (see self-interest)
Jin Yong Lee
Can Top Down Solutions Work?
- In our previous work we explored the idea of multiple interventions to change the social paradigm using the Levers for Change approach by Donella Meadows.
- But some people believe that humanity will fail to react adequately and responsibility to climate change unless there is a collective shift in consciousness. (see the simplified idea of network consciousness).
- This means thinking beyond the concepts we discussed in Planning meeting 3 (e.g. closed systems) and thinking about more complex Second Order Systems in which the 'observer' of a system is always implicated in it.
- Haoda Li suggested that we think about Daoism and Environmental Thinking
- Gaulthier recommended Paul Chefurka's article Climbing the Ladder of Awareness
- N.b. we may need different strategies for technical challenges & adaptive challenges
Money and Positive Feedback
- We may discuss addictive behaviour (see Gabor Maté's view about addiction
- see also some doubts about his conclusions)
- Is Climate Change - in part - a symptom of addictive systems that we designed (e.g. workaholism / insatiable greed / shopaholism / alcoholism etc.)?