An Alternative to SWOT Analysis
The Tool's Purpose
- SWOT analysis is a much-used (and helpful) tool but it can precipitate a negative mindset.
- It is an acronym that stands for Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats
- If people perceive something as a danger or threat (rather than a useful challenge) their blood vessels etc. contract.
- This physiological change is likely to impede their ability to think in a constructive and affirmative way.
- We wanted to create a tool that offers a more creative and opportunistic frame of reference
- If successful, users would find themselves occupying a more serendipitous space of conjecture
- This does not mean that 'Threats' or 'Weaknesses' do not exist.
- Our tool is not a panacea for every situation - more for the creative aspects
- Others have found it practically helpful and enjoyable to use
The Tool's Process
- An alternative to SWOT is POUT
- Each letter has an alternative meaning
POUT in 2 phases
- There are also alternative ways to arrange these four letters,
- Its use is straightforward and needs little expert introduction
- Context/conditions for use
- POUT can be mapped within a quadrant, using 2 (X-Y) axes
- The values of the X axis can be made to correspond to Left=evaluative and Right=creative
- The values of the right axis can be made to denote Bottom=ambiguous values and Top=explicit values
- This equates it with our system of 'working styles, i.e. where:
Return to Workshop Methods